Looks like a 50% reduction in pain medication over two years.
Homeopathic treatment of patients with chronic low back pain: A prospective observational study with 2 years’ follow-up
Authors: Witt CM, Lüdtke R , Baur R, Willich SN.
OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the details and effects of an individualized homeopathic treatment in patients with chronic low back pain in usual care.
METHODS: Prospective multicenter observational study. Consecutive patients beginning homeopathic treatment in primary care practices were evaluated over 2 years by using standardized questionnaires. Diagnoses (ICD-9) and symptoms with severity, health-related quality of life (QoL), medical history, consultations, homeopathic and conventional treatments, and other health service use were recorded.
RESULTS: One hundred twenty-nine adults (64.3% women, mean age 43.6 +/- 12.7 y) were treated by 48 physicians. The patients mainly had chronic low back pain (average duration 9.6 +/- 9.0 y) and other chronic diseases. Nearly all the patients (91.3%) had been pretreated. The initial case-taking took 113 +/- 36, and the case analysis took 31 +/- 38 minutes. The 7.4 +/- 8.1 subsequent consultations (duration: 23.7 +/- 15.2 min) cumulated to 204.5 +/- 184.6 minutes. The patients received an average of 6.8 +/- 6.3 homeopathic prescriptions. The severity of the diagnoses and complaints showed marked and sustained improvements with large effect sizes (Cohen’s d from 1.67 to 2.55) and QoL improved accordingly (SF-36 physical component scale d = 0.33; mental component scale d = 0.54). The use of conventional treatment and health services decreased markedly: the number of patients using low back pain-related drugs was half of the baseline.
DISCUSSION: Classic homeopathic treatment represents an effective treatment for low back pain and other diagnoses. It improves health-related QoL and reduces the use of other healthcare services.
REFERENCE: ClinJPain; 2009 May;25(4):334-9
- Back Pain (altmedhealthtreat.wordpress.com)
- Jim Calhoun and Spinal Stenosis: What Is It and What Could He Do To Come Back? (alternativendhealth.wordpress.com)
- Homeopathy for Dog Care : Could It Be an Option for Your Dog? (organic-pet-digest.com)
- Burlington, VT Spine Doctor Announces Expanded Non-Surgical Treatment Options For Patients With Chronic Severe Low Back Pain, Extreme Disc Herniations And Sciatica (prweb.com)
- Low Back Pain Prevention Secrets (abcnews.go.com)
- Can a nerve stimulator stop my back pain? (cnn.com)
- Will ibruprofin interact negatively with the muscle relaxer Flexeril? (zocdoc.com)
- Low Back Pain & the IlioPsoas (draagro.wordpress.com)