Listen, if you and I sold pharmaceuticals for a living, would we take the time to inform people that there might be a non-patentable alternative they could grow in their back yard? No, we would prefer they didn’t know about it. But then we have many, many people who want to sell us those things in capsule form. So “they” may not want us to know about it, and the other “they” do want us to know about it.
On the other hand, if you want a serious spin factory, check out the idea that no alternative treatments work. The skeptic community has been spreading this around. Trouble is, some of the leaders of the skeptic community are M.D.s who are making their money doing research for the pharmaceutical industry. These are the same folks who get paid to “plant” articles supporting a product in the medical journals. “Hired pens” are less than believable.
Then we have the good folks at the NIH‘s NCCAM, who are trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t. They are seriously hampered by the fact that they’ve been infiltrated by the skeptics, and the M.D.s aren’t really trained in how to deal with herbs and teas.
So are there “cures” within alternative medicine? If you are looking for an herb to replace a drug, sure. If you are looking for a one-time magic pill that will offset twenty years of hard living, sorry.
But the true cures are giving people back their lives. Yes, you need to change how you eat, how you live, and what “partying” means. But if it means being pain-free or disease-free, then that is a trade off many people are willing to make. And in the process you can usually stop taking all those pills.
- Government Funding of alternative treatments questioned (thehandiestone.typepad.com)
- Valerian and Echinacea or ‘What the hell is wrong with doctors?’ (theforagingsquirrel.wordpress.com)
- Depression (altmedhealthtreat.wordpress.com)
- Various Advantages Herbal Medicinal Compared Medicinal Chemistry (okehealth.wordpress.com)
- bcultral: Scientists cure cancer, but no one takes notice (sott.net)
- Home Cures For Bacterial Infections (after50health.com)
- Curing Insomnia With Alternate Sleep Remedies (thelifestylechanger.wordpress.com)